Vinpocetine

Mechanism

Vinpocetine is a slightly synthetic alkaloid created from vincamine an extract of the periwinkle species. In double-blind placebo trials Vinpocetine has been shown to augment cerebral blood-flow, and act as a powerfult neuroprotective agent.

Due to its noticable cerebral vasodilative optrions, Vinpocetine may help brain functions such as focus and memory by activating cerebral metabolism. In Asia it has been used in various forms to treat cerebrovascular disorders and age-related memory impairment and has recently been indicated in the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties.

Uses

Significant memory enhancement

Potential body-wide vasodilator (handy for you body builders looking for increased blood-flow)

Improves focus and mental clarity

Clinically proven neuroprotective qualities.

Anti-inflammatory

Vinpocetine is biologically active in little quantities, with the beginning recommended dose being a tiny 5mg daily; once hypersensitivity is ruled out, one may up the quantity to between 10-40mg daily. I have noticed a number of side-effects with this chemical and so I particularly feel it crucial to establish them, as follows:

Indigestion, nausea, dizziness, anxiety, facial flushing, insomnia, headache, drowsiness and xerostomia (dry mouth) Vinpocetine may also lead to a temporary drop in blood pressure. Out of the above I have personally experienced xerostomia(dry mouth) facial flushing and brief periods of anxiety.

So, with its high side-effect profile, is this really a nootropic worth taking? In my personal opinion, hell yeah! The mental clarity I experience is second to none. If your brain could take the most invigorating, cleansing shower it had ever experienced, then, the water would be vinpocetine without a doubt; I also appreciate higher degrees of visual clarity and wakefulness – sadly I’ve forgotten if it improved my memory 😉

Can this truly potent and useful chemical be purchased easily and cheaply? It is available over the counter in numerous vitamin shops around the world and of course from a lot of online retailers (check out Swanson for great details) A month’s supply, at 30mg daily will cost you roughly $8 or $2 a week or 0.285 cents a day… or… you get the message 🙂

All in all, a must buy for anyone looking for improved mental performance and general neuroprotection as they age.